Friday, March 11, 2011

Robots are Taking Over

My boyfriend sent me this link the other day 
It's a robotic tattoo machine. I shared it with some of the tattoo artists I work with and apparentlythis isn't the first time they're heard of robots tattooing. He replies with saying that tattooing will always be done by humans because machines lack judgment. While I recognize this as somewhat true I do have to wonder...
IF tattoos were done robotically, there would be the removal of human error. Which is good to an extent, but human error seems to play a role in what makes art beautiful. Programming a robot to tattoo is like programming one to paint. It is possible, it would follow direct orders, it could certainly correctly plant down straight and even lines (because it doesn't shake when it gets hungry or tired) but it would not be able to perform much past that. It will never decide the tattoo would look better with a different rim light color, or with a different shading technique. It wont pull away if the indivudal getting tattooed wiggles or twitches or asks you to stop for a moment because it hurts. 
So, although I wouldn't mind if they could get machines to take over the stupid symmetrical/geometrical tattoos that people like to get done, an art form can never really be replaced by a machine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment