Friday, March 11, 2011

Appealing to Your Tattooist

My mothers cousin (what does that make her to me? my second cousin?) recently got a tattoo done by a female tattoo artist in Washington and she sent me a picture.
She sent this to me because she had looked through this artists work and knew she was capable of creating beautiful imagery but was somewhat dissapointed with how her tattoo came out. The lines are uneven in some places and my cousin was less than impressed with the shading. She sent me this email asking if it looked ok and if it was fixable
My response was yes, they're just lines and they can absolutely be fixed. Do not fret!
A few weeks go by and she e-mails me again about her tattoo. This time she says " I have been a huge idiot asking her to do this crappy tiny gray-and-white map tattoo, so now she's drawing up thisawesome scene to go on top of it that will have trees and waves and color and birds and fish, etc- and it might be twice as big and some of the trees might go up my arm"
This was somewhat enlightening to me. She was right! Tattooists are artists who are contained to doing wahtever you ask of them. My cousin noticed this particular artist was very good with nature scenes and loved working with color and has now gone back and asked her to do something she enjoys. I am waiting on a picture to see how it went but I bet she will now be happy with her tattoo :)
The lesson for today, you will be more pleased with the outcome if you find an artist who enjoys doing the work you want done. I relate this to my personal experience where I do not enjoy tattooing text or symmetrical/geometerical designs but love the more freeform pieces with organic detailing and shading.

1 comment:

  1. Ohmygod you tell your cousin that's the COOLEST tattoo I've ever seen.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete